Welcome New Students
High School Welcome Letter
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the school's address and main phone number?
283 Adams Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Main Office - (718)260-2300
How do I get to UAI using public transportation?
- 2, 3, 4, and 5 trains to Borough Hall
- A, C, F, and R trains to Jay Street / Metrotech
- R and Q trains to DeKalb Avenue
- G train to Hoyt-Schermerhorn
B103, B25, B26, B38, B41, B45, B52, B54, B57, B61, B63, B65, B67, B69
What are the hours of school?
UAI is open for breakfast every morning from 8:00 AM until 8:25 AM
First period begins at 8:30 AM and the day is over at 2:50 PM
How will I get my new schedule and supply list?
Don't worry! Everyone will get their schedule on the first day of school. For all new students
we also have multiple days of orientation to make sure students feel comfortable, safe and confident
in their school! Supply lists will be shared on our website over the Summer.
Does UAI enforce a dress code?
We do not have a dress code at UAI. We do provide all of our new students
with a UAI t-shirt that can be worn for school spirit days and field trips.
Will I get a school ID and a locker?
Yes, You get both! ID cards are made the first few days of school. You
will use your ID card to swipe into school in the AM. Every student
also gets a locker within the first month of school.
How do I get my metrocard?
Metrocards are distributed the first day of school to those students
that are eligible.
How will my family be kept up to date on important information and my progress?
Every student at UAI has an advisor. Advisors meet with students to support their
SEL building and academic growth. Advisors also act as a personal connection between
the school and our families. You can expect to hear from your child's advisor at least
on a weekly basis. In addition, UAI uses PupilPath, Remind, social media and our website
to share important information
Does UAI offer after school?
Yes! UAI has been partnered with Girls Inc since we opened our school over 14 years ago. Girls Inc provides UAI students FREE and FUN after school programming in our building everyday from 3:00 PM to 5:30 PM. After School programming changes every semester and is responsive to our students needs and wants. In the past we have offered everything from photography and mural painting to guitar and Step. If you would like to learn more about our after school program, you can email UAI's Girls Inc Middle School Program Director, Ms. Wilma: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Supply List
UAI provides our new students with General Supplies and Technology (Ipad or Chrome Book) at the Start of the School Year! The List Below is any additional items you may wish to purchase, but are not necessary:
- 4 Five Subject Spiral Bound Notebooks (1 notebook for each quarter)
- 4 Marble notebooks for writing and journaling (1 notebook for each quarter)
- Pens and Pencils
- 1 box of colored pencils
- 1 box of crayola markers
- Highlighters & Post-its (optional)
- Donations to Advisor Classrooms [Optional]. UAI is providing classrooms with these baseline quantities of these materials, but extra materials are always appreciated, and may be needed if school orders are delayed. If you wish to purchase any or all of these items, you can purchase them on Amazon and send them to UAI to the advisor’s attention at (283 Adams Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201) or send them in with your child on her first in-person day of school.
- 1 canister of Clorox Wipes
- 1 bottle of Hand Sanitizer
- 1 Box of Tissues
- 1 Roll of Paper Towels
- 1 bottle of disinfectant spray
- 1 box of face masks
- $25 Amazon Gift Card for Teacher’s Choice of Supplies